How to Get Rid of Your Double Chin
Is that extra layer of fat beneath your chin making you look older and heavier? There are several natural ways to reduce a double chin or excess neck fat. However, some people find home remedies ineffective at losing fat in targeted areas. In this case, their best option is neck liposuction. At Vantage Plastic Surgery, our liposuction specialist, Dr. Aleksandr Shteynberg, offers advanced options in neck liposuction at our clinics in NYC.
Causes of a Double Chin
Several factors can lead to the development of a double chin, including:
- Genetics – You are more prone to having a double chin if other family members also have them.
- Weight Gain – Creating an extra layer of fat in the chin and neck area, also known as submental fat.
- Age – Your skin loses its elasticity and starts to sag in previously tight areas, such as your chin and neck area.
- Poor Posture – Sitting or standing incorrectly can contribute to a double chin over time, weakening the muscles and loosening the skin in your neck and chin.
Natural Ways to Reduce a Double Chin
A healthy diet and regular exercising are natural ways to burn fat in our bodies. Exercising the muscles around your double chin can help gradually reduce this submental fat. But, of course, you must perform these exercises regularly for optimal results.
Some of these exercises include:
- Extending your lower jaw forward and holding it
- Slow neck rotations/rolls
- Stretching your tongue up and out for 10-second intervals
- Chin presses with or without a resistance ball
- Tilting your head backward while puckering your lips
Chewing gum regularly can also get your jaw muscles in motion, burning chin fat slowly but surely. Additionally, full-body exercise (cardio and strength training) will help reduce your lower chin.
Finally, a nutritious, low-calorie diet can help you lose weight and some of the submental fat responsible for your double chin. Consume more veggies and fruits daily. Drink more water. Consume smaller portions and stay away from fried and processed food and those high in sugar and fat content. However, some natural fats, like omega-3 fatty acids, can be highly beneficial for your skin and overall health. Olive oil, nuts, avocados and fish contain these healthy fats.
Removing excess fat under the chin or the neck can significantly improve the definition and overall appearance of the face and neck profile. If diet and exercise aren’t helping you lose your double chin, liposuction is ideal. Neck liposuction can effectively remove a double chin or slim the neckline.
When performing liposuction, the patient must have good skin elasticity to reform the chin, jaw and neck contours once the fat is removed. However, individuals with stretched or drooping skin may combine neck liposuction with a neck lift (a lower rhytidectomy) to achieve a tightened, youthful neck.
Neck Liposuction Consultation in NYC
Contact us at Vantage Plastic Surgery or visit our clinics in UES Manhattan and Brooklyn, NYC if you want a slimmer, more defined chin and neck. We can schedule your consultation with our double board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Shteynberg, to discuss which type of liposuction procedure will best obtain your desired results.
Posted on behalf of
791 Park Avenue, suite 1B
New York, NY 10021
Phone: (212) 951-1877
Monday - Friday 8AM - 6PM